Equity, diversity and inclusion are core components of the Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics at the University of Chicago. Students, postdocs, and faculty are working together to build a culture within the department where under-represented groups can thrive. Please find our community values statement here.
Here you will find information about
- The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Council: The EDI Council consist of a group of students, postdoc, faculty and staff, working together to mobilize the entire department in order to achieve the ultimate goal of making the department a more equitable, diverse and inclusive place.
- The Inclusion, Diversity and Equity in Astronomy (IDEA) group: A group of early-career astronomers and physicists in the Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics and Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics promoting inclusion, diversity and equity in STEM.
- Community Engagement Working Group: The Community Engagement Working Group is comprised of graduate students, postdocs, staff, and faculty from the Astronomy and Astrophysics (A&A) department and the Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics (KICP). We are working to attain a diverse, inclusive and welcoming environment in our department for all current and incoming members. We also aim to build relationships with community members and organizations in the neighborhoods surrounding the University.
- Department Ombudsperson: The Department Ombudspersons are available to provide private, independent, impartial, and informal assistance for anyone in the department community, which includes students, postdocs, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Other University Resources: Other resources and initiatives across the University.
Monthly Calendar of EDI Events
All events/meetings are open to the public.