The Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics has variety of computing resources available for the Department members: professors, researchers, graduate and undergraduate students.
The computing resources include
- resources owned by the Department: multiple servers and number cruncher. Some research groups/projects have their own number crunchers as well;
- external resources such as access to the University Research Computing Cluster (RCC)/Midway;
- the Department purchases computers for its graduate students: laptop or workstation, whatever the student chooses.
The Department provides
- support of the following operating systems: Unix, MacOS, Linux, MS Windows;
- mail service: mail with individually set spam filtering options, mail lists;
- web service: personal web space, wikis, project websites, conference websites, websites for variety of internal needs, web content management and blogging (Drupal, Serendipity, WordPress). Some research groups/projects, including international collaborations have their websites and wikis hosted on the Departmental servers;
- version control systems service: CVS, SVN, git, mercurial.
The Department Systems Administrator
The Department has dedicated IT person - Valeri Galtsev (systems administrator) - who is responsible for all IT aspects, questions, needs of the Department and its members: installation of software one may need, compilation of custom software; troubleshooting and resolving problems, repair of hardware. In general, anything that has processor inside walls under support by the Department systems administrator.