March 14, 2020
I write to encourage you to do your part to slow down the spread of COVID-19.
The situation is evolving rapidly. The university administration is keeping us informed on their recommended policies, see the University's COVID-19 website, which includes FAQs about Spring Quarter. Recent University guidance includes:
- moving to remote learning for the Spring Quarter
- administering and evaluating winter quarter final exams online or through remote methods
- suspending University-sponsored events and gatherings of more than 100 people
- encouraging schools, divisions and departments to postpone on-campus visits suspending all nonessential international and domestic University travel
- ceasing normal operations of the University residence halls at the start of spring break
- encouraging remote work as appropriate, and social distancing
The Astronomy & Astrophysics Department is taking the following steps, at least through April:
- Tuesday Pizza talks are suspended
- Wednesday A&A colloquia are suspended
- "Cookies, Coffee and Conversation” are suspended
- Prospective student visits will be held remotely
- We encourage that Group meetings be held via zoom, or in a large enough room to respect social distancinging antiviral wipes and hand sanitizers, please use them! Clean shared spaces before and after you use them. We will keep you informed as the situation evolves.
Please contact us with your concerns and suggestions. We are all in this together.