Through August 28, 2020
The Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity in Astronomy (IDEA) group at the Dept of Astronomy and Astrophysics and the Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics (KICP) invites you all to IDEA Week 2020. This annual flagship event is a series of talks, discussions and workshops across August 25th-28th, 2020, designed to foster community learning on the issues that marginalized astronomers and physicists face in academia. We are supported by the Dept of Astronomy and Astrophysics at UChicago, Chicago Center for Teaching’s Inclusive Pedagogy Grant, and the Physical Sciences Division Climate Grant. This event is open to members of the UChicago community, especially in Astronomy, Physics and KICP.
The events and speakers include (all times in CST):
- Tue, Aug 25th, 2pm: The Problem with Diversity and Inclusion, by Prof. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein (University of New Hampshire)
- Wed, Aug 26th, 12pm-1:30pm: Panel — Activism as a Junior Black Scientist, featuring Ashley Walker, KeShawn Ivory, LaNell Williams, and Ayanna Jones
- Thu, Aug 27th, 11am: Racism and Capitalism, by Dr. Nia Imara (Astrophysicist and Artist)
- Thu, Aug 27th, 2:30-4:30pm: Rest and Workflow for Marginalized Scientists, by Dra Nicole Cabrera Salazar (Movement Consulting)
- Fri, Aug 28th, 2:30-4pm: Inclusive Classrooms during COVID-19, by Dr. Brent Barker (UChicago)
as well as
- a) Tue, 12pm: discussions on the Petition to Support Black Astronomers at UChicago (Petition),
- b) Fri, 12pm: an overview of IDEA activities for the year - by members of IDEA
For a detailed schedule and meeting Zoom room links for all events, please read through the Meeting Policy and register here.
In case of any questions, please contact the undersigned, or write to firstname.lastname@example.org
On behalf of IDEA organizers,